You can monitor performance and health of Virtual Machines and Virtual Machines scale sets, running processors and other resources dependencies with Azure Monitoring. This article will help you to prepare for az-303: Microsoft Azure Architect Technologies.
Azure Monitoring is a product that helps you to:
- Deliver predictable performance and availability
- Identify performance bottlenecks and existing network issues
- Identify other dependencies issues and external storage.
What kind of VMs supported?
- Azure VMs
- Azure VMs scale sets
- Hybrid VMs connected with Azure Arc
- On-premises virtual machines
- Virtual machines hosted in another cloud environment like AWS
How to configure VMs for Azure Monitoring
- Create a Log Analytics Workspace
- Add VMInsights solutions to the Workspace.
- Install agents on virtual machine and virtual machine scale sets.
Limitations on Linux VMs
- VMs Red Hat Linux (RHEL)6 does not support “Available Memory” feature from Azure Monitoring.
- Metrics are only available for data disks on Linux VMs using XFS filesystems or EXT filesystem family (EXT2,EXT3,EXT4)
Once you have created VM in azure then you can see insights under Monitoring group of VMs. You can enable monitoring for the virtual machine which will install the agent on VM to work with Azure Monitor. You must connect to Log Analytics Workspace also. Then after 5-10 mins VM will start sending data to the Azure Monitoring. All the data goes to Azure Analytics Workspace. You see 3 kinds of data in Azure monitoring.
List of processes running on virtual machine, which port, IP address, VM properties
Logical disk, size, percentage of use, CPU utilization.
Health of the VM
Log Analytics Workspace
Log Analytics workspace helps us to:
- Creates alerts when CPU goes high etc.
Kusto Queries(KQ)Language to search and analyze logs
- Connect with other Azure services like
Azure Sentinelfor security analytics for entire enterprise.
Thanks for reading my article till end. I hope you learned something special today. If you enjoyed this article then please share to your friends and if you have suggestions or thoughts to share with me then please write in the comment box.
Become full stack developer 💻
- Please subscribe to All-Access Membership PRO plan to access current and future angular, node.js and related courses.
- Please subscribe to All-Access Membership ELITE plan to get everything from PRO plan. Additionally, you will get access to a monthly live Q&A video call with
Rupeshand you can ask doubts/questions and get more help, tips and tricks.
Your bright future is awaiting for you so visit today FullstackMaster and allow me to help you to board on your dream software company as a new Software Developer, Architect or Lead Engineer role.