Did you know you can enable web application tracing, performance check, request response time trace and exception tracing all free using Azure Application Insight. Learn how to implement and configure app insight in your .net application. This article will help you to prepare for az-303: Microsoft Azure Architect Technologies.
Azure Monitor Insights
Azure Monitor Insights is group of services for getting customized monitoring reports for applications and services. They collect and analyze both logs and metrics.
Azure Monitor Insights for below resources are available:
- Application Insights: Help you monitor live web application on any platform.
- Containers: Helps you to monitor the performance of container workloads.
- Networks: Provides a comprehensive view of network health and metrics.
- Cosmos DB
- Resource Group
- Key Vault
- Redis Cache
Workspace-based Application insights (recommended) needs Log Analytics Workspace so make sure you create that first and then App Insights can help on below things:
- performance anomalies
- analytics tools to help you to find and resolve issues.
- Install Instrumentation package SDK in your web application.
- Instrumentation instance monitors the web app and logs the telemetry data into the Application Insights Resource.
- Each log entry must have
What Data Application Insights Monitor
- Request rates
- Response time
- Failure rate
- Page views and load performance
- AJAX calls
- User session count
- Performance counters
- Host diagnostics from Azure or Docker
- Diagnostic trace logs
- Custom events and metrics
You can use these data to visualize using:
- Application Map
- Usage Analysis
- Diagnostic Search for instance data
- Visual Studio
Creating a MVC Web app with Application Insights
We will create workspace-based App Insights so that logs can be sent to Azure Analytics Workspace further it can be used in Azure Sentinel. We will also use automatic approach to send telemetry data to the Azure.
- Create a web application .net framework
- Install the Application Insights Telemetry on this project
- Create Log Analytics Workspace on Azure portal
- Create Application Insights on Azure portal
- Get the instrumentation key from the overview of the App Insights.
- Update the MVC project web.config with the Key so that your app will send
Here is the source code for implementing Azure App Insights
Thanks for reading my article till end. I hope you learned something special today. If you enjoyed this article then please share to your friends and if you have suggestions or thoughts to share with me then please write in the comment box.
Become full stack developer 💻
- Please subscribe to All-Access Membership PRO plan to access current and future angular, node.js and related courses.
- Please subscribe to All-Access Membership ELITE plan to get everything from PRO plan. Additionally, you will get access to a monthly live Q&A video call with
Rupeshand you can ask doubts/questions and get more help, tips and tricks.
Your bright future is awaiting for you so visit today FullstackMaster and allow me to help you to board on your dream software company as a new Software Developer, Architect or Lead Engineer role.